Date of release: 9th November 2010
How diet can help manage pain, the benefits of mindfulness, CBT and exercise, and a Q&A with pain specialist Mark Turtle.
For a full transcript of this programme please click here.
In this programme Airing Pain looks at a range of lifestyle changes and psychological approaches we can use to help with managing pain. Dr Rae Bell tells us how a good diet can help in managing pain, telling us about foods which are natural painkillers and why we should perhaps give cola a miss. Ron Parsons describes the exercise routine which has helped him to manage his lower back pain.
Chris Main discusses Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Vidyamala Burch explains how mindfulness can help people to live in the moment and accept pain while overcoming fear, anxiety and depression. Pain specialist Dr Mark Turtle answers your questions on weight loss, getting referred to a pain management programme by your GP and coping with visits to the dentist in our Q+A session.
In this programme:
* Dr Rae Frances Bell (diet)- Head of Multidisciplinary Clinic, Haukland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
* Vidyamala Burch- Mindfulness
* Ron Parsons- Patient Interview
* Prof Chris Main- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
* Dr Mark Turtle-(Q&A) Consultant Anaesthetist and Pain Specialist