Looking at the connection between domestic violence and chronic pain
The Coronavirus pandemic has been long and isolating for everyone, but particularly for those who experience abuse. The pandemic and subsequent lockdowns have seen an increase in the level and severity of domestic abuse.
In this episode of ‘Airing Pain’, our host Paul Evans discusses the isolating effects of Covid-19, trauma and how this can contribute to the development of debilitating chronic illnesses such as Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
An article by author and domestic abuse survivor Kath Twigg will accompany this extended episode of ‘Airing Pain’.
- Kath Twigg, Senior Lecturer in social work, trainer, mentor, writer, and domestic abuse survivor
- Dr Lene Forrester, Clinical Psychologist at Albyn Hospital, Aberdeen
- Dr Joht Singh Chandan, Academic Clinical Lecturer at the Murray Learning Centre, University of Birmingham
- Dr Kate Gillan, Clinical Psychologist for NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
- Professor. Caroline Bradbury-Jones, head of Gender-Based Violence and Health at the University of Birmingham
- Zero Tolerance – www.zerotolerance.org.uk
- NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde, How can the Pain Management Service help you? (PDF) – https://www.nhsggc.org.uk/media/259486/leaflet-how-can-the-glasgow-pain-service-help-you.pdf
- Scottish Government, Important advice for people with chronic pain (PDF) – https://www.gov.scot/binaries/content/documents/govscot/publications/advice-and-guidance/2020/03/coronavirus-covid-19-tailored-advice-for-those-who-live-with-specific-medical-conditions/documents/chronic-pain/chronic-pain/govscot%3Adocument/Patient%2BInformation%2BLeaflet%2B-%2Bfor%2Bpeople%2Bwith%2Bchronic%2Bpain%2B-non-shielding%2B061120.pdf
- NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde, Pain Services – https://www.nhsggc.org.uk/your-health/health-services/chronic-pain/information-and-resources-for-patients/
- Heads Up – http://www.headsup.scot/
- Mind – https://www.mind.org.uk/
- Mind, Post-traumatic stress disorder (PDF) – https://www.mind.org.uk/media-a/2950/ptsd-2018.pdf
- Mind, Post-traumatic stress disorder – https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/complex-ptsd/
- Scottish Women’s Aid – https://womensaid.scot/
- Rape Crisis Scotland – https://www.rapecrisisscotland.org.uk/
- Refuge – https://www.refuge.org.uk/
- Refuge, Support for men – https://www.refuge.org.uk/get-help-now/help-for-men/
- Scottish Women’s Rights Centre – https://www.scottishwomensrightscentre.org.uk/