What is the IASP Global Year of Excellence in Pain Education, and how does pain management research benefit the patient?
For a full transcript of this programme, please click here.
This edition is funded by Pain Concern’s donors and friends, assisted by an educational grant from Grünenthal.
The International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP), formed in 1973, is the leading forum of scientists, clinicians, healthcare providers and policy makers supporting and promoting the study of pain and using that knowledge to improve pain relief worldwide.
Each year IASP focuses on a different aspect of pain that has global relevance. In 2017, IASP focused on pain after surgery, and joint pain was the focus of 2016. In this programme, Paul Evans speaks to Dr Paul Wilkinson, lead of the IASP force of the 2018 Global Year of Excellence in Pain Education.
IASP hopes to advance the understanding of pain in the areas of government, professional and research education and ultimately create strategy to communicate the gaps in pain education globally.
Paul also speaks to clinical psychologist Dr Nicholas Ambler, patient trainer Lisa Parry and assistant psychologist Sareeta Vyas at the Bristol Pain Management Programme to find out if there is a correlation between investment in pain management research and development and patient benefit.
- Dr Paul Wilkinson, Director of pain management services in Newcastle and lead of IASP 2018 international task force
- Dr Nicholas Ambler, Clinical Psychologist and lead of NHS North Bristol Pain Management Programme
- Lisa Parry, patient and patient trainer at NHS North Bristol PMP
- Sareeta Vyas, Assistant Psychologist and leader of sleep management programme at NHS North Bristol PMP.
- International Association for the Study of Pain website iasp-pain.org
- IASP’s 2018 Global Year of Excellence in Pain Education iasp-pain.org/Membership/SIGDetail.aspx?ItemNumber=742
- NHS North Bristol Pain Management Programme: nbt.nhs.uk/clinicians/services-referral/pain-clinic-services-clinicians/pain-management-programmes-pmp.